Dr Ala’a Alkerwi
Since 2002, Dr Alkerwi has been working on several national, European and international projects, with particular reference to the field of nutritional epidemiology and cardio-metabolic risk prevention. Her major area of research is therefore focuses on identifying new holistic approaches to fight efficiently against cardiovascular diseases and their burden on global health. These measures include the development of new definitions and concepts, the investigation of emerging (non-classical) cardio-metabolic risk factors, and the epidemiological consideration of associations between cardiovascular risk factors and cognitive and physical functioning, with the ultimate aim to provide appropriate prevention, and to promote healthy ageing.
She is the principal investigator and project leader of the first nationwide population-base ORISCAV-LUX study “Observation of Cardiovascular Risk Factors in Luxembourg”, which aims to monitor the evolution in cardiovascular risk factors and its major determinants among the general adult population.
Dr Alkerwi is the first author of numerous peer reviewed papers and published abstracts and a member of several European and Luxembourgish scientific societies. She is Associate Editor of the International Journal for Vitamin and Nutrition Research.
Across her occupation as a senior researcher, she developed collaborative relationships and created new research partnerships, both nationally and internationally and supervised postgraduate and Master students and postdoctoral fellows.
- ORISCAV-LUX (2007-2008- First wave of the Observation of Cardiovascular Risk Factors in Luxembourg) The first wave was co-funded by the Ministry of Health and Ministry of Higher Education and Research.
- MSF Project (2011-2012-The Epidemiology of Metabolic Syndrome among the Resident Population in Luxembourg and its Potential Determinants with a Focus on Dietary Habits). Project funded by the National Fond of Research (FNR) under the CORE program 2010, in collaboration with the University of Liège.
- DIQUA-LUX Project (2014-2015- Assessment of diet quality of the general population in Luxembourg and its association with cardiometabolic risk), . Project funded by the National Fond of Research (FNR) under the CORE program 2013, in collaboration with the University of South Carolina.
- DietPAT (2013-2015- Dietary patterns and cardiovascular risk factors in Australia, the United States and Luxembourg: an international comparison and dietary intervention trial). Project funded by a post-doc grant from the NHMCR Australian Government for 2 years, in collaboration with University of Maine, USA, University of South Australia.
- ORISCAV-LUX 2 (2015-2018 - Second wave of the Observation of Cardiovascular Risk Factors in Luxembourg). Project implemented by the LIH with the financial support of the Ministry of Higher Education and Research.
MD - PhD
1A-B, rue Thomas Edison
Tel. : +352 26 970 743