Internship in Health Data Science/Bioinformatics/Biostatistics (Master student) - VOCOMAP - GF1022
1A-B, rue Thomas Edison, Strassen L-1445, Luxembourg
The evolution of voice technology, audio signal analysis, and natural language processing/understanding methods have opened the way to numerous applications of voice tracking and analysis in the field of healthcare. Voice is a rich medium in which a lot of information can be found, providing that we know how to isolate and use it. A vocal biomarker can be defined as a signature, a feature, or a combination of features from the audio signal of the voice that is associated with a clinical outcome and can be used to monitor patients, diagnose a condition, grade the severity or the stages of a disease, or for drug development.
The aim of this internship is to map the voice characteristics of the general population and compare them between groups of people with different conditions (COVID-19, diabetes, cancer, respiratory diseases…) based on audio recordings from the large Colive Voice study.
Training and research environment
The “Deep Digital Phenotyping Research Unit” develops a research activity within the Department of Precision Health at the frontier between digital epidemiology, digital health, and data science, to leverage real-world data to improve population health.
The Master student will directly contribute to the identification of vocal biomarkers for human health mapping. He/she will lead a project on the analysis of an annotated audio dataset from the Colive Voice study to decompose the audio signals and apply AI-based algorithms and statistical approaches. He/She will have to take charge of the literature review, the pre-processing of the data, the data analysis, and the preparation of a scientific article. He/she will be supervised by Dr. G. Fagherazzi, Director of the Department of Precision Health, and Abir Elbéji, PhD student in the DDP lab, in association with experts in audio signals and artificial intelligence methods.
This internship position may lead to a PhD opportunity in digital epidemiology.
What we offer
● Students will have the opportunity to work in an interactive and international scientific environment, prepare a scientific publication and present their own work during lab meetings.
● They will receive training in digital epidemiology research and data science and will have the opportunity to gain skills in data analysis, AI methods applied applied to audio data.
KEY SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
● Master level in Data Science, Bioinformatics, Biostatistics or equivalent required .
● Flexibility, adaptability, autonomy
● Ability to work with different profiles and people from different experiences and cultural backgrounds
● Language skills: Fluency in French and English is an asset, with written skills in English. Any other language in use in Luxembourg would also be an asset.
● Applicants must be affiliated with their own university.
- Contract type: 6-month fixed-term contract
- Work hours: Full time- 40h/week
- Location: Luxembourg
- Start date: February - April 2023
- Ref: JF/INTVOCOMAP/GF/DDP